Dress For Your Body Type: Spoon Figure

According to the Shop Your Shape Website,
"As a Spoon Body type (sometimes called figure 8), your hips are larger than your bust and you have a defined to somewhat defined waist. Your hips have a “shelf” appearance and you are prone to gaining weight in your tummy and have a tendency towards love-handles. While you may gain weight in your upper thighs and upper arms, your lower legs and arms are shapely and your best assets."
 Hmm...Wide hips?  Flabby tummy?  Love handles?  This body shape should be called "The Mom Shape"  because anyone who has given birth to a baby probably has all of these problems.  Let me add in: "stretch marks and saggy breasts" and it's the whole package.

Lucky me, this is MY body shape!  So how do we Spoons best dress to disguise our problem areas?
Also from Shop Your Shape:
"The key to dressing a Spoon body type is to draw attention to your upper body while deemphasizing your tummy and hips to create a more balanced appearance and create the illusion of an hourglass figure. Your legs are your best asset, so feel free to play with skirt lengths and show them off!"

Let's not forget that I'm a Mormon.  This means that I dress modestly.  My skirts generally should not be shorter than knee length, unless I'm wearing leggings underneath.  And I don't wear sleeveless shirts unless they also are layered.  (So my less-than-modest suggestions I would wear with something under or over.)  Here are my suggestions:


From Left to Right, Top to Bottom:



RULES:  
  1. Wear tops that have details around the chest and arm area, which will draw attention away from the middle.  
  2. Look for empire waists, as long as they drape close to the body (so you don't look pregnant.)  
  3. Tie belts above the 'shelf' to draw the eye away from the tummy.  
  4. Wear jackets that are tailored to fit snugly around the narrowest part of your waist to create the hourglass appearance.  
  5. Wear skirts that are A-line or straight, nothing that will add bulk to the hips.  
  6. Show off your legs by experimenting with different skirt lengths.  
  7. Wear pants that fit well on the top, are boot cut, straight leg, or even wide leg.  (I love skinny jeans with loose flowy tops, but they aren't for everyone.) 
For more details, check out Shop Your Shape!

6 comments:

coolkids said...

great tips. stop by for an adorable giveaway! thecoolkidsblog.com

Anne said...

so excited you started with the spoon figure! my husband told me there was no way i was a spoon, but i went to the website and put in my measurements and i was right. i think i used to be more pear or hourglass until i had my son....all i know is that a lot of my wardrobe isn't working for me anymore. i'm actually tempted to go through my closet and maybe alter some of the stuff i have based on these suggestions. thanks for the ideas! :o)

Nina @ Momma Go Round said...

Are you dead? Cause I MISS YOU!!!

rose said...

helo, what does mean by as long as they drape close to the body

Unknown said...

This will only fit for the thin ladies and for me, Any fox fur collar leather jacket ought to be sealed and treated. By doing this, you would not have to do a lot of things to maintain Women's double breasted leather jackets its good condition.

Unknown said...

I think I am a spoon shape when I was younger I had an hour glass figure but now that I am in my late forties and have gained weight everything seem to spread out more. I have a short waist that is defined large hips, bottom and breast my measurements are 41 bust waist 35.5 and hips 45.5

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...